CAROUSEL 29 Preview!
CAROUSEL 29 (summer 2012 issue) out in mid-May
The forthcoming issue of CAROUSEL features work from the following writers and artists: Derik A Badman • John Wall Barger • David Boswell • Claire Caldwell • Robert Dayton • Michael DeForge • Larry Eisenstein • Rachel Anne Farquharson • Emily Gordon • Jesse Jacobs • gillian harding-russell • Claire Horsnell • Louisa Howerow • Christopher Hutsul • Katie Jordon • Krisjanis Kaktins-Gorsline • Drazen Kozjan • Mark Laliberte • Eunice Luk • Fionn McCabe • Andrei Molotiu • Marc Ngui • Jason Paradiso • Karsten Petrat • R L Raymond • Ethan Rilly • Squidface & The Meddler • Tin Can Forest • Magda Trzaski • Talia Zajac
• Robert Dayton profiles and interviews Canadian writer/cartoonist David Boswell, creator of the iconic underground comics character Reid Fleming: World’s Toughest Milkman on the eve of his 2011 induction into The Giants of the North: the Canadian Cartooning Hall of Fame.
• Rachel Anne Farquharson profiles NYC-based artist Jeremiah Maddock
• Claire Horsnell profiles the other “Carousel”, a traveling series of slide show readings by an ever-changing cast of cartoonists and performers — organized and hosted by experimental cartoonist R. Sikoryak, the presentations are somewhat reminiscent of a radio show (usually with live narration, often with music and sound effects) combined with wildly creative imagery; from stick figures, to lush illustrations, to the occasional photograph, Sikoryak’s “Carousel” embraces all forms of visual storytelling.
• Jason Paradiso looks at the growing street-level ‘window gallery’ phenomenon, exploring how the vacant windows of closed-down businesses in downtown cores are being transformed into unquestionably accessible, 24-hour walk-by galleries.
• the 4PANEL team of Derik A Badman, Michael DeForge, Larry Eisenstein, Jesse Jacobs, Mark Laliberte, Andrei Molotiu, Marc Ngui, Ethan Rilly, TinCanForest and Magda Trzaski continue to explore and experiment with panels and sequences
• Squidface & The Meddler offer four visual glimpses of some of their favourite upcoming Can-Con talents: Peter Diamond, a Canadian illustrator based in Vienna, Austria; Sean Lewis, an illustrator/artist currently living in Toronto, and Vancouver-based illustrator Andrea Wan.
>>> Purchase your own copy here